Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Be still

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."

-  Exodus 14:14

I recently been reading Exodus and am currently reading about the Israelites.  They were just released by Pharaoh and are now in the wilderness camping by the Red Sea.  Pharaoh had decided that he wants the Israelites back and is now chasing them down. 

Immediately the Israelites start to panic and tell Moses they should have just stayed in slavery because they are not going to die and Moses response to them is, “The Lord with fight for you; you need only be still.”

There are two things that strike me here.  One is that the Israelites seem to have a sudden memory lapse about who God is.  They have witnessed all of the plagues that Egypt went though and have even seen God as a pillar of fire and smoke guiding them.  But when all or a sudden Pharaoh pursues them, they forget.

This is so true for us.  We forget what God has done in the past and look only at our current seemingly hopeless situation.  At this point God sometimes wants us to remember he will fight for us and we need only be still.

You see I relate to forgetting what God has done.  I forget and I rarely think to be still and let God fight for me.  I get to busy worrying about getting things done and making things happen.  When situations seem hopeless I may go to God but do I sit back when he wants me to and let him do his thing?  I wish I could say this was the case but its not.  This is a great passage to think about. 

Thought for the Day:  Sometimes we need to remember, “The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment