Friday, September 30, 2011

Simple Prayer

"'Two things I ask of you, O Lord; do not refuse me before I die: keep falsehood and lies from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.  Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'who is the Lord?'  Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.'"
-  Proverbs 30:7-9

This chapter in Proverbs in entitled Sayings of Agur.  Study notes in the NIV study Bible say that he was probably a wise man and associated with the Ishmealite people.  This is a very different chapter then most in the book or Proverbs.

The two things that this man prays for are very simple: dont refuse me, keep falsehood and lies from me and give me neither poverty of riches only my daily bread.  Do I remember the last time I asked God to give me just enough?  No more, no less.  When I pray am I asking God to remember me and do I daily ask that God will keep falsehood and lies from me?  Such simple basic requests, this was all Agur asked for.  Are my prayers simple and right to the heart of what I really need?  Or am I asking for things?  I can say the latter most of the time.

Thought for the day:  Seek only my daily bread, no more no less.  If more is given praise God.  If you feel you have less turn to God, he always provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment