Friday, October 21, 2011

The Tongue...

"All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue.  It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.  With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness.  Out of the same mouth come praise and curing.  My brothers, this should not be."
-  James 3:7-10

Such truth is spoken here.  It is amazing the damage that can be done with just our words.  James talks about the tongue as a restless evil, full of deadly poison.  When I think about this, I see how it is true.  One one hand we praise God and on the other we gossip and talk about someone else.  On the one hand we pray and thank God and on the other we discourage and tear down others.  In verse 10, James says this should not be.  No, it should not be.  So, what am I going to do about it.  How am I going to purposefully focus on what comes out of my mouth?  Be aware and think more before I speak.  If I am to emulate Christ, I need to be in the habit of continually taming my tongue.

Thought for the Day:  Do my words encourage others or tear them down?

No comments:

Post a Comment