Monday, October 10, 2011

Strength in Weakness

"Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.  But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."
-  2 Corinthians 12:8-10

Paul was sharing with the Corinthian church some of his experiences.  He shared that to keep from being conceited he was given a thorn in his side, a messenger from Satan.  The verse above goes on to explain how he pleaded with God to take it from him.

Paul was going through a hard time.  I mean he pleaded with God to take the thorn from his side.  I don't know about you but when I think of pleading, I think there has to be a pretty extreme reason why you are pleading.  Pleading is not something you see every day or ever really ever want to do.  You see God did not answer his prayer in the way maybe Paul had expected, but he did answer.  God told Paul that God's power was sufficient enough and that God's power would be made perfect in Paul's weakness.  Again probably not the answer Paul wanted.  But Paul accepts this answer.  He even embraces it stating that he will boast in his weakness so that Christ's power would rest on him.  What a thought to accept what God had for us even when difficult because it brings power to God, and not complain but even be glad.  I have to say Paul had faith, he believed what God said was true and embraced what could come out of his weakness even though it was a painful experience.

Thought for the Day:  Do I accept that His grace is enough even in the most difficult circumstances?  

No comments:

Post a Comment