Friday, January 20, 2012

Leadership

"Since an overseer is entrusted with Gods' work, he must be blameless - not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain.  Rather he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined.  He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who appose it."

- Titus 1:7-9

Although I may not be an overseer in the sense that Paul writers to Titus, if I volunteer or help at church should I not have the same expectations of myself?  I may not be a pastor but I am a entrusted with God's work and living a life such as the one listed above can only be positive for my life. 

Is it easy to live a life with these characteristics?  No.  Because its not easy and I am not a pastor do I not strive for this life?  No.  Just because you or I do not pastor a church it does not mean that God has not "entrusted us with his work."  We are in a sense an overseer to those around up that are not yet following Christ:  family, friends, co-workers and people we met.  It is just as important for us "everyday" people to live the life Paul describes as it is for Pastors.

Thought for the Day:  Will I choose to live a life of character as if people are watching or will I leave that example to my pastor?

No comments:

Post a Comment