Sunday, March 2, 2014

New Take on Love

"And now the most excellent way.  If I speak in tongues of men and angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  If I have a gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have faith that can move mountains, but I have not love, I am nothing.  If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I am nothing.  Love is patient, love it kind.  It does not envy, it doest not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps not records of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always hopes, always preservers.  Love never fails."  

1 Corinthians 13:1-8

This is a verse, most of us have heard before, especially if you have ever been to a weeding.  I have read this verse many times.  A lot of times I check out a little during all the descriptors.  But this time as I read this verse through the eyes of 1 John verse 1:8 "Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love."  My eyes were opened to what this verse was not just stating about love but what it was stating about God.  

Now it read something like this:
God is patient
God is kind
God does not envy
God does not boast
God isn't proud
God is not rude
God is not self-seeking
God is not easily angered
God does not keep records of wrong
God does not delight in evil
God rejoices with truth
God always protects
God always hopes
God always preservers
God never fails

It is easy to forget who God is.  If you ever need a reminder of who he just remember love...remember descriptors of love are descriptors of God.  

Thought for the Day:  What descriptor do I need to remember about God at this time in my life?  

No comments:

Post a Comment